View of Copernicus Square
Włocławek or Wloclawek in central Poland and Europe has many historical moments, museums, nature parks and clubs. Let read information for tourists and visit Włocławek! Here is near to make a trip from or to Warsaw, Gdańsk - Gdansk, Toruń - Torun, Bydgoszcz, Poznań - Poznan or Łódź - Lodz.
Copernicus Square (polish Plac Kopernika) – in cathedral school in Włocławek studies Nicolaus Copernicus in 1488-91. Together with his teacher Abstemius, built a sun watch on Cathedral Basilica. This history we can read in The Solar Mystery of Prof. Jeremi Wasiutynski. We can see also:
- the monument of Nicolas Copernicus
- main office of the Higher Seminary, founded in 1569 (first seminary in Poland).
- famous Diocesan Museum (polish Muzeum Diecezjalne) with paintings of Francesco Barbieri (Guercino) or group of Caravaggio
- Seminary Library of Chodynski Brothers with very collection of books, for example missals from 1500
- St. Witalis Curch, 1330
- monument of a famous Pole - primate Stefan Wyszynski.
St. Witalis Curch (polish Kosciół sw. Witalisa), 1330, it is the oldest building in Włocławek. In the interior we see at beautiful works of the Polish 15th century painting.
Basilica Cathedral of the St. Mary Assumption (polish Katedra pw. Najświętszej Marii Panny)
Gothic cathedral was built in 1340-1411. It is one of the oldest and highest (87 m) churches in Poland. The most important monuments are:
* - Tombstone of Piotr from Bnin by Wit Stwosz (1493),
* - Chapter house dating from 1521,
* - Renaissance chapel
* - Baroque stalls
* - Gothic stain glass windows (1360, the oldest in Poland),
* - Painting of Franicsco de Zurbaran - 17th century,
* - Largest painting on a single board in Poland - 1470,
* - Stain glass windows made by Józef Mehoffer
* - Sculpture The Last Supper (1505)
* - Painting by Juan Correa de Vivar before 1565,
* - Eucharistic Throne – one of the most magnificent silver masterpieces in Europe – 1744.
Municipal Park of Henryk Sienkiewicz
Municipal Park named after Henryk Sienkiewicz (polish Park Miejski im. Henryka Sienkiwicza) - it is one of the oldest municipal parks inEurope. In the central part of the park, we can see a monumental of Henryk Sienkiewicz writer with Nobel Prize for Quo Vadis.
Bishop’s Palace (polish Pałac Biskupi) - there is at the bank of Vistula, from 1858-61 and is have a garden.
Vistula’s Boulevards of Marshall Józef Piłsudski
Vistula’s Boulevards of Marshall Józef Piłsudski (polish Bulwary im. Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego) - here are many import ant building: Old houses on the Old Marketplace, Church of St. John the Baptist, Bridge of Marschall Edward Rydz-Smigły, Art Museum, Ethnographic Museum, high schools, culture center in factory from 19th century Browar B or Marshal Office.
Church of St. John the Baptist
Church of St. John the Baptist (polish Kościół pw. Św. Jana Chrzciciela) is in Gothic and Baroque style, brick-layered, oriental, built in 1538. We can see an interior in Baroque style:
* - with Guardian Angel painting (1635),
* - baroque font from the 17th century,
* - sculpture of John Baptist from Venice (polish Jan Baptysta Wenecjanin).
All Saints church and Franciscan-Reformers cloister
All Saints church and Franciscan-Reformers cloister (polish Parafia i Klasztor Ojców Franciszkanów), built in 1639-1644 is in Baroque style. We can see lateral aisle and Rococo altars (18th century).
Liberation Square (polish Plac Wolności) is the town’s central square with the monument for soldiers of the II World War, hotel Zajazd Polski (18th century), restaurant, banks and shops. We see also All Saints church, Franciscan-Reformers cloister and Mühsam Palace from 19th century.
The stage of fall on the Vistula river
The stage of fall on the Vistula (polish Tama na Wiśle) river was built in 1970. Here is the biggest unnatural lake in Poland. Here in the Vistula river priest Jerzy Popiełuszko found his death and we can see a big crucifix.
This is one of the beautiful shopping centers in Poland in the faience factory of Teichfeld & Asterblum from 1873. There is here many shops, restaurants and clubs.
Diocesan Museum (polish Muzeum Diecezjalne) have paintings of Francesco Barbieri (Guercino) or group of Caravaggio and graphs of Albrecht Duerer.
Museum of the Kujawy and Dobrzyn land
In Main Edifice we can see here 2 stable exposition : "Wloclawek`s Faience" , "The Gallery of polish portraits" with impressionism by Leon Wyczółkowski, symbolism by Jacek Malczewski, secession by Józef Mehoffer, Olga Boznańska and Antoon van Dyck or Marcello Bacciarelli. In the Ethnography Museum we find folc culture and equipment of house and farm of Kujawy. The Museum of the History of Włocławek shows history from archaeological excavations to Liberation of Włocławek 1945. We can see elements of knights, measures and weights, treasure with coins, pharmaceutics uniforms, firearms, weapons, photographs and the archives. The Art Collection shows sculptures by Stanisław Zagajewski – “polish Gaudi” and exhibition of Wacław Bębnowski (ceramic sculptures and objects). Sometimes are open for tourist expositions with paintings of Carlo Cignani, Georg Philipp Rugendas, Francesco de' Rossi, graphs of Rembrandt van Rijn, Albrecht Altdorfer, Parmigianino, Vespasiano Strada oder Lucas van Leyden.
Text and photo: Amadeusz Majtka
All rights reserved.