Poland >> Poland City Guides >> Zielona Gora >> Hiztory of Zielona Gora

Hiztory of Zielona Gora

Zielona Gora was once part of the Duchy of Glogow and had its first Flemish settlement in the 13th century. It perhaps got its first urban rights in 1323. In the 16th century, the Duchy of Glogow came under the Czech rulers. In 1740, when Frederic II captured Silesia, Zielona Gora came under Prussian rule and began rapid development.

Until the end of World War II, Zielona Gora remained under the Germans. In 1945, the Soviets occupied Zielona Gora and soon after it was officially handed over to its first Polish Mayor.

Zielona Gora is perhaps most well known for its vineyards, though no wine is produced there now. The first were made by monks in the vineyard of Paradyz Abbey as early as 1250. The famous 'Monte Varde' wine was produced here. Wines from Zielona Gora were exported to other parts of Poland as well. There are about 4000 vineyards in the region with around 2500 in Zielona Gora itself.

During the Communist regime, wine production was considerably reduced. The last wine factory was closed in early 1990s. Today, only the Palm House Wine Park remains as evidence of this once flourishing economic activity.

Weaving woolen garments was another important activity in Zielona Gora. Mention of this was first found in the 15th century documents.


Main | Hiztory of Zielona Gora | Zielona Gora Today | Attractions in Zielona Gora | Restaurants in Zielona Gora | Zielona Gora Hotels and Accommodation


Add comment / Read comments