Poland >> Poland City Guides >> Malbork >> History of Malbork

History of Malbork

Malbork is situated by the river Nogat on the edge of the Vistula Lagoon. The city came up around the fortress of Malbork which was founded by the Teutonic Knights in1274. The Teutonic order came up with a commitment to fight against the enemies of Jesus Christ and help the poor and the pilgrims.

The Polish duke Konrad gave them some land and took their help to fight the Prussians. This gave them a foothold to create their own country in the Baltic region, and in the 13th century, they moved their capital from Venice to Malbork. They built a fortified castle on the bank of the river Nogat and this became the seat of the Teutonic Order. This castle is Europe's largest Gothic fortress.

The Teutonics conquered most of the surrounding land and became a threat to most of the Polish states. Polish and Lithanian forces fought the knights in the famous battle of Grunwald in 1410. Although the castle withstood the battle of Grunwald, it was sold in 1457 to Casimir IV the king of Poland, by the soldiers in lieu of their pay. It remained as one of the Polish royal residences till 1772.


Main | History of Malbork | Main Attractions in Malbork | Things to do in Malbork | Hotels and Accommodation in Malbork | Shopping in Malbork


Add comment